Salary: £20,020 per annum
35 hours per week
At Northern, we play a vital role across the North by providing a reliable and friendly train service that helps hundreds of thousands of people to go do their thing. That’s over 2,000 services every day, travelling to over 500 destinations.
We’re here to make a positive impact for the North. And that means building a different kind of workplace. One that values individuality and celebrates differences. Somewhere we can work together, have fun, and do whatever it takes to make our customers’ lives easier. A place that encourages everyone to learn, grow and develop so we can all be our best every single day.
So, if you’re smart, forward thinking, passionate and full of fresh ideas like we are, you could play your part in making it happen.
About the role:
As a Train Presentation Operative, you will play a vital role in offering a spotlessly clean train and a welcoming environment for all our customers. Not all of our roles are customer facing, but we pride ourselves on the service we deliver for our customers and colleagues, and we always strive for excellence; if you would like to be part of team that make this happen, then this role may be for you.
Our trains and stations operate 7 days a week and we complete 4 different types of cleans within our teams in 24 hours, so it can be more of difficult than you may think, you’ll quickly hit that 10,000 step goal.
On our night shifts, we have two cleaning teams: a Full Clean team and a Deep Clean team. During your shift, we expect you to thoroughly clean our trains to ensure we continually deliver hygienic and functioning trains for our customers. Cleaning activities would include but are not limited to hoovering/steam cleaning floors, walls and seats and windows, touchpoint cleaning of door controls and handrails and don’t forget our cabs to keep our colleagues working environment clean too. The Deep Clean team are also expected to use specialist equipment to get rid of all ingrained dirt from all parts of the train – don’t worry we train you on how to use these.
We are looking for reliable, and hardworking individuals to fulfil this role and you must be willing to work outside, as well as on board our trains, throughout the year. You also need to have a keen eye for detail and be flexible enough to deal with ever-changing demands.
You don’t necessarily need cleaning experience, as we will teach you everything you need to know. Initial training is 1-5 days in the classroom (dependent on location) followed by practical and on the job training with the cleaning team.
If you fancy doing your thing as a Train Cleaner, your greatest strengths will be working in a team to get a job completed together, following instructions and attention to detail to successfully maintain high cleaning standards. We like you to have pride in your work and always strive to be the best you can.
So, if your lifestyle enables you to work flexible shifts in line with our customer expectations over an average of 35 hours per week this could be the job for you.
Find out more about the important role that our Train Cleanersplay in keeping our Trains moving by watching this video.
Our selection process includes a safety critical medical assessment that covers general health, vision, hearing, colour vision and drugs and alcohol testing, as we have a zero tolerance on the railway.
Our benefits package:
Because we value our people and reward hard work, we’ve created a benefits package that we think you’ll love. So, you’ll be able to make the most of:
· Opportunities to progress and grow – including comprehensive training schemes and a range of online learning courses.
· Free Travel on Northern services – everyone who works at Northern, plus their partners/spouses and dependents, can travel for free right across our full network of services. *Certain eligibility criteria will apply.
· 75% discount with other Train Operating Companies – after 2 years with us, you’ll also get discounted travel on many other rail services in the UK and Europe.
· Defined Benefit Pension Scheme – you’ll rarely find a pension as good as a Northern pension, and we top up your pension with a generous 1.5 times your contribution.
· Cycle to Work Scheme – save up to 42% on the cost of a bike, while also spreading your payments throughout the year.
· Recognition Programmes – from our Loyalty Awards events to our Proud to be Northern Awards, we make sure our people know they’re appreciated.
· A generous holiday entitlement – our incredibly generous holiday entitlements can help you feel like you can get away too.
· Maternity and Paternity Benefits – we go above and beyond the standard, and mums can enjoy 9 months’ maternity leave on full pay while dads can make the most of 2 weeks’ paternity leave on full pay.
· Exclusive benefits with Northern Perks – enjoy retail discounts, instant vouchers, cashback, wellbeing support and much more.
We’re an equal opportunities employer and a promoter of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
We also have Disability Confident status, which means we’re committed to making the most of the talents that disabled people can bring to the workplace.
Ready to help our customers go do their thing? You can get started by telling us more about what your thing is. All you need to do is complete our online application form – and we’ll be in touch to let you know what happens next.
Important: Northern reserves the right to close the advert before thepublished closing date, if high volumes of applications are received. In thissituation partially completed applications will not be progressed forward orgiven extra time to complete.
To apply for this job please visit uk.whatjobs.com.